Friday, May 8, 2009

Glorious Architectural Learnings


I ripped this off Vince's lecture slides as I was investigating truss height-depth ratios and ideal beam shapes as I come up with my final answer for Tuesday night's not-so-literal but literal pencils down. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me identify this building.

There's a speck in my screen. I think it's embedded underneath the glossy surface. I can't just wipe it off.

Anyway.

I like how the inverted king post truss is supporting the structural glass. It also comforts me to see that those are in turn supported by steel members that sort of work like a truss with tension members underneath, but are not fully triangulated. It resembles a solution I am considering to the problem I am facing with spanning 60 feet in the most economical and graceful manner, which is imperative, given that the span supports nothing but an architectural idea. Larry told me not to give up the architectural idea yesterday as I hurried to catch my bus to the airport. He said to screw code. I brought up blind people. He said for them to walk more slowly. The simple diagonals that barely touch the ground are graceful. I ramble.

I really have to get to analyzing Kahn so that I can e-mail Liam my preliminary paper and analytical diagrams tonight for feedback before Sunday, but I really want to resolve the main idea of my studio project so I can concentrate.

Random things in my head right now:
  1. How I must not blow this weekend and this week.
  2. Iceland in June.
  3. The roadtrip to the American Southwest in a couple of weeks.
  4. How wonderful it was to see and hug Thomas again. He still looks and feels the same, beyond leaving correspondences dangling. The first will always be the first. :)
  5. Going back into the 80s groove. I miss Patrick's shirts. I also strangely miss his dear friend/roommate/lover? looking right through me.
  6. Trusses... I actually am beginning to find pleasure in their contemplation.
  7. Keeping connections constant, but the members vary according to their span.
  8. Iceland.
  9. Iceland.
  10. Iceland.


I am not even done processing and posting my New Zealand photos. Meep.

There go the kids... methinks.

No comments: